September 21, 2006

My little brain

I took some training for my job this week, the topic being "Designing and Coding Secure Systems." It was a very interesting class probably geared more towards the entry-level, perhaps mid-level, security professional. I was in total awe of the teacher simply because he was so knowledgeable on the subject. It got me thinking about how much I know about my every day job. The teacher has been at his Phd for nearly ten years. That amounts to an immense amount of knowledge and experience.

Well there are two types of IT people in the world. One is the "out-of-the-box" techie, like the teacher, who's at the edge of technology pushing the boundaries out. The other is the "in-the-box" techie who implements the new technology to come up with new services and products. Without either of the two we are stuck in either a "out-of-the-box" world where technology is vastly advanced but never used, or we're in the "in-the-box" world where there's no new technology and we must forever re-invent the wheel.

Have no idea where I was going with this but there's an issue at work so I gotta go sorry!

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

2 comments:

Alex said...

I'm definitely an "in-the-box" techie; I just use the new tools to make $. :P

Denny Love said...

And that's where I was going with all of it. You can look at the out of the box guy and he is one of those that just love doing what they do even if its a struggle to get by.

Taking a look at the in-techie they're the ones who want to use the technology to create their ideas within the limitations of the tech. I must say I am an in-techie too.